Sunday, February 1, 2009

Must.stop.reading.blogs

I really need to stop reading blogs. No really. So many blogs are done by moms who have lost a child and I can't stop reading them. Cancer, disease, accidents....they all happen and it scares the crap out of me. I don't know how these families cope with the loss of their child and I cannot imagine the grief. I always felt empathy for people who have lost a child, but now that I am a mother, the empathy is so much deeper.

We had a scare with Bubbie back in September caused by a simple photograph. I take lots of pictures of him and ran across one that had a very strange reflection in his eye. I know this is quite common, especially with digital cameras, but I decided to better be safe than sorry. My mom and I took Bubbie to his pediatrician just to get his eye checked. During the appointment, the doctor used that little eye light thing to take a peek into Bubbie's eyes. After a few minutes, he said that he might see something in there and that we had to take him to a pediatric opthamologist as soon as possible. This was on a Friday and our appointment was made for Monday morning. B was working but met us at the doctor's office after the appointment. Needless to say, we were all a mess. I have only seen my husband really cry once before then - when his sister died. He was so worried about our little boy.

After a very emotional and stressful weekend, we took Bubbie to the pediatric opthamologist. Bubbie was battling a cold and had to have his eyes dilated. He was not a happy camper. The doctor called us in and did the exam. After the longest 5 minutes of my life, he said that Bubbie's eyes were clear, both had astigmatisms and one was near sighted and the other far, but clear. The relief I felt at the moment was so immense that I had to keep myself from bursting into tears.

I only wish that more families could have that feeling of relief instead of the pain that they have felt from losing a child. I always have those families in my thoughts....always.

No comments: