Saturday, February 7, 2009

The $1200 Blanket

So, I'm making a ribbon blanket for a friend of mine that I am appliqueing a name on. I do this by using fusible webbing on the applique and then doing a basket stitch around the letters with embroidery floss. There I am sewing away and have just a little (read: 1 cm) heart that I had to finish. As I was getting some stabilizer for the heart, B suddenly said our cat Emma had some pink string. The pink string with a needle on it. I quickly looked and sure enough, there was no needle on the string. We tried to get it from her and she took off upstairs. I was finally able to approach her and pulled the string when it suddenly stopped. There was tension. Emma took a swipe at me and next thing I know the string is on the floor, sans needle. Yup, my cat swallowed a needle.

Emma was our first cat, our first furbaby. So in a panic, I called an emergency vet in our area who told me to bring her in for an xray. Sure enough, the needle was in there, but it was lying horizontally in her throat. The vet told me that they would have to use an endoscope and special tools to pull it out of her throat, which they couldn't do there. They had to check with another emergency vet about 20 minutes away to see if they could do the procedure there. Luckily they could. If they couldn't I would have had to go to another clinic about 1.5 hour away.

So right now, my poor cat Emma is being anesthetized, intubated, and scoped to get a stupid needle out. The blanket I sold for $14 has now cost me $1200. Damn.

No comments: