Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sad story with a happy ending

There's a woman in my mommy group that is truly inspiring. Right around Christmas, her cousin passed away from appendicitis. I have never heard of someone dying from that, but it happened. Sadly, she was also 7.5 months pregnant. They were able to save that baby and he is currently at the NICU. The baby has an un-named father and was destined for foster care. This woman, I'll call her Karen, could not see her cousin's child go off to foster care so she and her husband have decided to adopt the baby. There was bunch of legal stuff that happened because she was not first cousins with the girl. But, happily, she is going to get to take the baby home in a few weeks. Her own daughter just turned a year old and "Karen" will be able to nurse the baby. For her to take this baby into her home as her own, even nursing him, is such a noble act and I feel honored to be in a group with her. :)

3 comments:

Megan said...

What an inspiring story,I hope everyone can continue to encourage her as she has everyone else. Thanks for sharing!

Mommmmmm! said...

That is awesome and amazing. Where ar the grandparents out of curiosity?

Leslie D said...

I honestly don't know about the grandparents. It did seem odd to me that she didn't have any other family, but still it's pretty awesome that my friend is willing to take this little boy in.