Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Green Monster

Yesterday Bubbie and I went to my friend's pool to hang out with her and some other friends. They are all teachers, like myself, and are on Spring Break. Out of the ones there, I'm the only one married. I'm also the only one with a kid out of all of my close friends.

Needless to say, I was a little preoccupied while I was there feeding Bubbie, letting him test out the water, and basically being a mom. The girls all love him and were really happy we came to visit. As we were leaving to go home, the girls, lounging by the pool, started talking about their evening. They were having a slumber party (fun!!) and dinner together.

Next thing I know, I felt that twinge. You know, the twinge of jealousy for the lack of responsibility that they have. There they all were, hanging out by the pool, drinking their beer, and chatting about the fun they were going to have as I was packing up my son to take him home and praying that he'd take a nap in the car. I remember those days. It wasn't too long ago.

But then, I glanced at Bubbie's sweet little face and the jealousy evaporated. I mean, how could you not give all of that up for him? He's everything I ever wanted.

What's funny, is that I know they're all jealous of me....

1 comment:

AiringMyLaundry said...

I admit, I sometimes feel that twinge of jealously when people can do whatever they want.

But like you I always remember how thankful I am for my kids. Honestly I think I'd be a little bored without the responsibility.