Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I apparently cannot do fractions

I'm making sugar cookies tonight from a mix. Yes, a mix - I shudder at this being that I usually make 3-5 different kinds of Christmas cookies from scratch. But, due to the fact that I am on leave this year, I have no one to share that many cookies with. I usually make all of those cookies as gifts for my principal, office staff, janitors, librarian, as well as share with our families.

So, after running out of time to make a plethora of cookies for family members, I decided to bust out a Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix that I got from my mom who got a gigantic box of 6 pouches from Costco. Anywho, there are instructions for making more than one pouch. I wanted to make 2 pouches at a time. I got the first batches done before Bubbie had to go to bed much to the delight of Brad who taste tested a couple and approved.

After Bubbie was in bed, I came downstairs and for some reason decided that I made the last batch wrong. I got it in my head that I had added too much butter. The mix called for 2/3 cup and I though I put in 1 1/3 cup. "Alright," I thought. "I'll just use the left overs from the sticks that I cut to make the batches correctly...." I made another batch and kept commenting that the dough was really dry and I think that recipe is wrong. Well, as the last tray was cooking, I realized something: I had to cut 2 sticks of butter to get 1/3 cup from each stick. I didn't get 2/3 cup from each stick. I also realized that the leftover pieces from the sticks I cut didn't even equal to the amount I thought I needed. Yeah. I apparently cannot do fractions or read and I'm a freaking science teacher! Needless to say, that second batch of cookies is hard as a rock and will be residing in our house. I miss my old cookies.

1 comment:

Mommmmmm! said...

Oh I hate it when that happens. Also, nice to know that I am not the only one short on cookies this year.:)